Tuesday, January 27, 2015

Back on the Plane

We left Cusco this morning at 9 AM. I skipped the breakfast buffet at the Monasterio Hotel in order to do a little work and reorganizing. It wasn't too tough to miss it, as Mike  brought me an iced latte from the Starbucks on the Plaza de Armas that we noticed yesterday. Our later start today allowed us to talk with Elizabeth and Sara and Aaron via FaceTime before we left. 

We boarded the LAN flight from Cusco to Lima and said goodbye to the eastern Andes. I did a bit of shopping at the Cusco Airport and bought a lovely baby alpaca wool sweater and scarf. I also bought some coca candy - happy to share when I return. 


We boarded our charter plane in Lima at 1:30 and were off for Easter Island by 2 PM.
Our flight attendants, Matt and Susie, were waiting on board with water and cranberry juice. 

I took a look at our flight plan - 5 hours and 20 minutes due south west to get to Easter Island. It's the second most isolated island on earth. Ironically, because it's a part of Chile, it's still in the Eastern Time Zone. Looking at it from the US perspective, the island is in alignment with Arizona. 


When I put on my raincoat in Cusco, I found the park map from Rock Island State Park in my pocket. It must have been there from when we went camping summer before last with the Swedlund's and friends. I couldn't bear to throw it away, so I'm taking a little piece of Wisconsin with me on our trip around the world. 




No comments:

Post a Comment