Tuesday, May 10, 2022

Reflections on Holland - A Memorable Journey



Reflections on Holland


May 10, 2022

I enjoy writing this travel blog, as it allows me to reflect on and savor the experience of our journeys.  I think about what I've seen, the people I've met, what I've learned, how the food tasted, the sounds and smells.

This was a more complicated trip than typical, in part because of the misfortune of illness that happened to cause a change in plans for our barge trip.  But interesting things come from unexpected challenges.  I was pleased that I biked many more miles than I anticipated.  Our group of fellow travelers bonded in solidarity to make the week enjoyable.  We saw, heard and smelled so many things on our bike sojourn through the countryside and towns that reflected our opportunity to stop and smell the flowers.

Amsterdam, Rotterdam, Lisse, Haarlem, Gouda, Schiedam, Delft, the Hague, Zaandam, Leiden - all vivid and interesting places to visit.  I would be pleased to return again sometime in the future.  Maybe so.  But there are still a whole lot of places I have yet to experience.  I definitely would do a bike trip again.  And would highly recommend time boating along Holland's canals.

Below are just a few of my favorite memories:

Amsterdam





Zaanse Schans








Schiedam


Bitterballen and Gouda cheese


Gouda stroopwafels

Bloemencorse Bollenstreek Annual Flower Parade
Rotterdam




Rijksmuseum


Amsterdam






















No comments:

Post a Comment