Sunday, February 11, 2024

Aurora Australis - the Southern Lights and the Southern Cross

The pink glow over the mountains of South Georgia - the Southern Lights

 


Tuesday, November 7 -  Salisbury Plain, South Georgia


We had an enjoyable evening tonight, after a busy day with the seals and penguins.  Our dinner was a themed Argentinian barbecue, an asado. It was delicious - and lots of fun because all of the staff dressed for the theme.


Michael had skipped the evening lecture tonight and when I came back to the room at 10 PM, he was asleep.  I got into bed, but then looked outside.  The night was so clear!  I put on a jacket and went out to the observation area on Deck 8 to look at the stars around 10:45.  I had to use a flashlight, as all lights are out to prevent birds from landing on the deck.  I took lots of star photos.  I ran into two colleagues, Christian and Jessica, and they showed me how to find the Southern Cross.  I also saw Orion.  AND I caught the Aurora Australis on my photos over the mountains in the south.  I stayed out about 45 minutes - took a few more photos and then to bed by about midnight.

I confirmed the Southern Lights with Matthew Philips, our naturalist that lived on South Georgia for a winter while he worked for the British Antarctic Survey.  He said he was able to see them a few times during his stay.


Enjoying a Negroni at the end of a busy day, during our Recap in the Ice Lounge

An interesting lenticular cloud formed over the land mass in the evening



Patrick announcing an asado, Argentinian barbecue, for our dinner tonight

Our wait crew was dressed for the asado tonight

Nice sunset tonight over South Georgia


Above is a description of how to find the Southern Cross, as it can be confusing

Two pointer stars (here, on the left) are used - Alpha and Beta Centuri (Wiki photo)

Because it's spring, the pointers are on the right, and the Southern Cross is upside down

The green arrow shows Alpha and Beta Centuri, and the kite shows the Southern Cross

Can you see it now?  It's the smallest of the 88 constellations - and another capture of the Aurora Australis






No comments:

Post a Comment