Monday, February 12, 2024

Grytviken's Museum and Post Office

Lots to see in the center of Grytviken's old settlement, outside and inside it's compact museum

 

Wednesday, November 8 -  Grytviken, South Georgia





Grytviken's Anglican Church - originally for ~500 whalers and family members




In the center of town, I stopped first at the post office.  It was crowded - everyone was writing cards and mailing them, including our crew. There was a fairly long line to purchase stamps and to post.  I bought some stamp sets, a card and two stickers for my water bottle.  And I bought some cute elephant seal stamps to mail the card.  Next, I visited the Maritime Shed, which had a reproduction of the Cairn, the lifeboat that Shackleton and four crew sailed to South Georgia from Elephant Island.  The incredible accomplishment is even more impressive when you actually see the size of the boat they traveled in.  They also had his boots and a few other artifacts.  Perhaps my favorite part of the exhibitions in the building was an actual wandering albatross, with its wings extended to show its 12 foot wingspan.  Incredible bird.





The Post Office was a popular place - with a nice, long line of our fellow shipmates


Mine were ready - just needed the South Georgian stamps!

It took 5 weeks for them to arrive back home!





After the post office and maritime display,  I went into the museum, and because it was getting late, I spend less time on the exhibits, which were really interesting, and more time in the museum gift shop.  This is my only opportunity (outside of the ship’s gift shop) to buy any souvenirs on the whole trip. I bought t-shirts for the boys and felt penguin garlands and socks for the girls, and a South Georgia baseball cap for me.  Score!  After that, we headed back on the Zodiac for lunch.





Replica of Shackleton ship - such impressive sailing and seamanship

Wandering Albatross

Amazing 12 foot wingspan - wow!







A fun morning - heading back for lunch


The skies had cleared as we departed King Edward's Cove and said Bye to Grytviken

Mount Hodges towering over the tiny little settlement







No comments:

Post a Comment