Monday, October 11, 2021

An Aperol Spritz and the Rialto Bridge

 

Sitting at the quay of the Grand Canal, watching the Acqua Alta and drinking an Aperol Spritz.

Friday                                                                                                   October 8, 2021

After visiting the Campanile, we walked along to the Rialto Bridge. Michael wanted to stop for a drink and a bite to eat by the bridge.  He has a nice memory of being there about three years ago with my sister and brother-in-law, Sally and Scott.

We found an open table and proceeded to order.  For the last two days, I've seen nothing but balloon glasses filled with neon orange liquid.  It's so bright it practically glows - and you can see it from a mile away.  It was all everyone - and I mean everyone (well tourists, at least) -  was drinking.  Yes, I'm referring to the infamous Aperol Spritz.  I first had one in Madrid two years ago. And  today I decided it was time to have another.  Michael wisely ordered an espresso, and a large caprese salad for his "spuntino" (snack).

Acqua Alta makes the pavement slippery here, but the platforms weren't needed.

Big smile for Michael, who was enjoying watching all the activity

We relaxed, and ate and drank, and talked to the people at the tables around us.  A woman next to us asked me if I was from Canada, as she thought I spoke with a Canadian accent.  She and her husband were from England, near Cambridge, and we passed the time comparing notes about COVID lockdown, the economies and general feelings about recent world leaders.


Cheers! Definitely enjoying my spritz time....

I gondolieri and their customers


Selling any kind of pasta your heart desires

More beautiful glass shops

This beautiful glass sea turtle made me think of back home in North Carolina



No comments:

Post a Comment